Postgraduate Module Descriptor
EFPM288: Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
This module descriptor refers to the 2016/7 academic year.
This module aims to enable you, as a postgraduate research student or professional working in an appropriate context who teaches or supports students learning, to improve your professional practice and think creatively about a range of aspects of learning and teaching in Higher Education, as these relate to your specialist role and subject area. It encourages you to make connections between your own experience, the experience of others, and some of the learning and teaching theories that have been developed by researchers and practitioners. Through the exploration of relevant scholarship and educational research, you will also locate and evaluate your practice within current institutional, national and international contexts.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Evaluate critically your education practice and identify possible solutions to enhance it in the following areas of activity covered in the UK Professional Standards Framework for teaching and supporting learning in Higher Education: Designing and planning learning activities and/or programmes of study, Teaching and/or supporting learning, Assessing and providing feedback to learners, Developing effective learning environments and approaches to student support and guidance|
2. Engage in professional development in your subject and discipline, and their pedagogies, through scholarship and the exploration of professional practices
3. Employ self, peer and student evaluation to analyse your practice, your professional values, and your future development needs in a research-inspired environment
4. Analyse, interpret and apply to your own practice key theoretical and evidence-based concepts and debates about learning, teaching, student support, assessment, and evaluation in higher education.
|Discipline-Specific Skills||5. Research and critically analyse education-related and pedagogic literature and research in relation to your practice and your discipline|
6. Compare and contrast the academic culture and pedagogy of your and other disciplines, and draw connections, parallels with, and conclusions for your own practice
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Reflect on your practice in order to analyse your professional values, choices and actions a key criterion of the LTHE assessment|
8. Select and organize material critically to produce a coherent reflection on issues, interests, developmental needs and aspirations related to your educational practice
9. Write analytically, confidently and clearly about your reflections, ideas and opinions on education and pedagogy yours, of your discipline, and from education research.