Postgraduate Module Descriptor
EFPM313: Issues in English Language Teaching
This module descriptor refers to the 2016/7 academic year.
- An overview of key current issues in the TESOL field and those addressed in this module.
- The growth of English as an international Language: TESOL, power and ideology.
- Theoretical constructions of culture for language education: from Essentialism to ‘small cultures’.
- Bilingual/multilingual education.
- Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL).
- Differentiation and mixed ability teaching.
- The role of authenticity in materials and activities for language learning.
- An investigation into and presentation of an issue pertinent to students’ contexts.
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Activities||16||8 x 2 hour seminars and tutorials|
|Guided independent study||24||Directed reading: seminar preparation/review|
|Guided independent study||40||Directed reading: further exploration of chosen topics|
|Guided independent study||10||Formative assignment preparation|
|Guided independent study||60||Summative assignment preparation|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).
English Language Teaching Journal