Postgraduate Module Descriptor
EFPM906: Arts Education Theory, Practice and Potential
This module descriptor refers to the 2019/0 academic year.
Whilst the module’s precise content may vary from year to year, it is envisaged that the syllabus will cover some or all of the following topics:
- Arts education– the influence of culture, history and policy
- Practical explorations of the elements of each art form and engagement with examples of learning and teaching through practice.
- Inter-disciplinary learning between the arts and across curricula
- Multi modal approaches to teaching and learning in and through the arts
- How educational futures are informed by creativity and learning in the arts
- Inclusion and alternative approaches to teaching and learning exemplified through art forms
- Tensions and dilemmas within different ways of thinking about the arts in educational futures
Independent, collaborative and peer to peer learning is encouraged. The module staff are well-connected to regional and international arts specialists and practitioners and the module usually includes connections to them.
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||30||10 x 3 hour seminar/lectures/workshops/tutorials|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||0.5||Academic tutorial|
|Guided Independent Study||80||Directed study: preparation for seminars/workshops, including individual and group tasks|
|Guided Independent Study||90||Assignment preparation|
|Guided Independent Study||100||Self-directed study additional reading and practice|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).