Postgraduate Module Descriptor
EARM002: Primary Art
This module descriptor refers to the 2022/3 academic year.
|Term(s) and duration|
This module ran during term 1 (12 weeks), term 2 (12 weeks) and term 3 (12 weeks)
Dr Emese Hall (Convenor)
Educational & Professional Studies module (EPSM000)
Primary Professional Learning module (EDUM034)
Primary Curriculum Studies module (EDUM033)
|Available via distance learning|
The module will focus on extending the breadth and depth of your understanding of art education in several directions, in order that you can develop children’s art learning in a number of ways. These include:
• To help you develop a critical, reflective, and creative approach to teaching art that fosters children’s enthusiasm for learning
• To encourage you to appreciate the wider role of art in relation to cultural diversity and to use research to develop a contemporary and critical view of art education in theory and practice
• To gain a deeper understanding of approaches to teaching art in order to understand its place in the curriculum and ways in which it can relate to other subjects.
• To focus on leadership in art to enable you to evaluate and select materials, organize the subject within a school, and support your colleagues’ art teaching.
• To be aware of effective approaches for inclusive art education, both in and outside formal school settings
• To nurture your development as a reflective and autonomous professional practitioner who is able to identify strengths and areas for development in your subject knowledge and pedagogy, through evaluating current professional practice in relationship to developments in research and curriculum theory
Each of these strands is developed throughout the module. Peer learning and teaching is a feature of the module, both by sharing strengths within the art specialist group and by providing support for fellow non-specialist students.