Dr Lisa Alberici
Senior Lecturer in Academic Practice
+44 (0) 1392 724862
North Cloisters NC134
North Cloisters, University of Exeter, St Luke's Campus, Heavitree Road, Exeter, EX1 2LU, UK
Seventeen years’ experience leading in education enhancement, learning development, widening participation, and academic practice development in UK higher education institutions.
My current interests are concerned with the professional development of academics, particularly in digital and inclusive teaching environments; and the use of digital technologies to support effective learning, teaching and assessment. These are particular areas within which I would like to continue to develop new knowledge and understanding.
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (Advance HE)
BA first class honours (Birmingham)
I specialise in Higher Education research and am a member of the Centre for Research in Professional Learning (CRPL). My two current research projects are:
- 2021-2023, University of Exeter: ‘Building Assessment Confidence: the effective use of previous students’ work in supporting current students’ (funded by an Exeter Educator Incubator grant of £6,400 for research into Higher Education innovation).
- 2020-2022, University of Exeter: ‘Responses to digital education from academics new to teaching in UK higher education during the COVID-19 pandemic’.
Previous research and scholarship includes:
- 2015-2019, University of Exeter: embedding and modelling inclusive teaching practices, including resources and workshops for adapting practice relating to language, roles models, and curriculum development (following the Ward-Gale model). Resource website, created 2019, available at: https://universityofexeteruk.sharepoint.com/sites/EducationToolkit/SitePages/Inclusive-teaching-in-Higher-Education.aspx.
- 2015-2017, University of Exeter: development of an inclusive curricula for supporting student transitions in academic group tutorials; part of the Academic Tutor Framework.
- 2014-2015, Anglia Ruskin University: supporting the academic skills development of undergraduates and postgraduates; identification and targeting of transition markers, including those elements of a student’s academic experience which can continue to be supported throughout their journey. I supervised two University-funded research projects in order to ascertain the engagement and efficacy of centralised study skills provision for supporting the incorporation of students (mostly from WP-backgrounds) into their academic context.
- 2009-2013, University of Birmingham: lead for the induction of new undergraduates to the College of Arts and Law, with a focus on widening participation, pre-induction, welcome and induction provision, in order to understand the student transition as a developmental process. I also designed resources, events, and activities which could be adapted for students of different backgrounds and skills sets.
- 2006, University of Birmingham: 3-month research project to investigate online study skills support and student induction materials. The outcome of this work enabled the Schools of Historical Studies and Humanities to receive a Learning and Teaching Grant (£72,000 over two years) to continue this project.
- 2002-2008, University of Birmingham: research on sociological concepts of life course and transitions, including publication on ‘Transitions to Adulthood in Late Antiquity’
Research group links
Alberici, L.A. and Sloan, R. (2022), ‘The Great (Digital) Escape: creating virtual escape rooms using Microsoft OneNote’, Excellence in Education blog, available online at: https://excellence-in-education.co.uk/the-great-digital-escape-creating-virtual-escape-rooms-using-microsoft-onenote/.
Alberici, L.A. and Richards, M. (2020), ‘Fix Up, Look Sharp? Bringing your authentic self to online teaching’, Exeter Education Incubator blog, available online at: https://uoeeduinc.blog/2020/06/25/fix-up-look-sharp-bringing-your-authentic-self-to-online-teaching-dartington-online-writing-retreat-blogs/.
Mountford-Zimdars, A. and Alberici, L.A. (2020), ‘The show goes on for Academic Professional Apprenticeships: A celebration of the first Research Pathway Endpoint Assessment’, SEDA: Staff and Education Developers Association blog, available online at: https://thesedablog.wordpress.com/2020/06/30/academicprofessionalapprenticehips/.
Alberici, L.A. (paper), ‘Responding to informal student feedback: creating a constructive dialogue’ for the Academic Practice Network, University of Exeter, June 2018.
Gallon, C.E., MacDonald, D.M., Zamani, R., Alberici, L.A., Kilner, T., Pocklington, A., Hellman, K. and Edwards, C. (poster). ‘Enhancing students’ academic and professional skill development through group academic tutoring at the University of Exeter: Medical School’ for An International Association for Medical Education (AMEE) conference 2016.
Abu-Rabi, F., Alberici, L.A., Kerrigan, M. (paper). ‘Encouraging and promoting aspirational study skills provision in Higher Education’ for Anglia Ruskin University, 2015.
Alberici, L.A. and Spitak, S. (paper). ‘Promoting small group workshops in centralised study skills provision’ for Anglia Ruskin University and Wright State University, Ohio, 2015.
Alberici, L.A. (2010). Private Worship, Public Values, and Religious Change in Late Antiquity, by Kim Bowes (Cambridge/New York, 2008). Reviewed in Journal of Roman Studies 100: 347-8.
Alberici, L.A. and Harlow, M. (2007). ‘Age and Innocence: Female Transitions to Adulthood in Late Antiquity’, in A. Cohen and J.B. Rutter (eds), Constructions of Childhood in Ancient Greece and Rome, Hesperia Supplement 41: 193-203.
Alberici, L.A. and Harris, A. (paper). ‘Online student induction and study skills support’ for University of Birmingham, 2006.
Key publications | Publications by category | Publications by year
No publications found
External Engagement and Impact
External Examiner Positions
- External Examiner for Postgraduate Certificate in Research and Innovation Leadership, University of Cambridge (September 2021 to present).
- External Examiner for Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (online), University of Liverpool (January 2021 to present).
- External Examiner for Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, University of Southampton (October 2019 to present); and External Adviser for University of Southampton PGCAP revalidation (April-May 2019).
- Independent Assessor for Advance HE as End-Point Assessment Organisation for Academic Professional Apprenticeship (Level 7), (August 2019- present).
Academic Professional Programme